Arch Linux

Please read this before reporting a bug:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Bug_reporting_guidelines

Do NOT report bugs when a package is just outdated, or it is in the AUR. Use the 'flag out of date' link on the package page, or the Mailing List.

REPEAT: Do NOT report bugs for outdated packages!
Tasklist

FS#72230 - [linux-lts] /etc/vconsole.conf's FONT setting is now only applied to tty1

Attached to Project: Arch Linux
Opened by Emanuele Torre (emanuele6) - Friday, 24 September 2021, 17:05 GMT
Last edited by Andreas Radke (AndyRTR) - Saturday, 25 September 2021, 07:00 GMT
Task Type Bug Report
Category Packages: Core
Status Closed
Assigned To Andreas Radke (AndyRTR)
Architecture x86_64
Severity High
Priority Normal
Reported Version
Due in Version Undecided
Due Date Undecided
Percent Complete 100%
Votes 0
Private No

Details

Description:
This is my /etc/vconsole.conf file:

KEYMAP=it
FONT=ter-v32n

Today, I rebooted my PC (after I think ~1 week) and I noticed that my
font was not being applied the virtual consoles.

I ran `sudo updatedb' and `locate ter-v32n' which confirmed that the
font was still installed correctly (this was not cause by a font
package); I also tried to run `sudo setfont ter-v32n' in the "tty2"
virtual console and it successfully changed the font to ter-v32n (only
in tty2)

Then I rebooted once again and noticed, before starting my graphical
environment from the "tty1" virtual console, that the font was actually
being applied, but only to "tty1", not to the other virtual consoles.

At this point, I started to suspect of the kernel so I downgraded it
to 5.10.67-1 (from the current version: 5.10.68-1) and rebooted.
Surprisingly, (I was not expecting this to actually be a bug introduced
by a kernel package update, especially by an LTS kernel package
update), it solved the problem; the font setting is applied in all the
virtual consoles.

I also re-updated the kernel to 5.10.68-1 and rebooted again to confirm
that the FONT setting is still only loaded in "tty1".

Cheers,
emanuele6

Additional info:
After re-updating, I also checked whether the KEYMAP setting was being
applied to all consoles and it actually was, KEYMAP changed to "it" in
all virtual consoles, but FONT. I am not sure if this means anything or
is relevant.
This task depends upon

Closed by  Andreas Radke (AndyRTR)
Saturday, 25 September 2021, 07:00 GMT
Reason for closing:  None
Comment by Emanuele Torre (emanuele6) - Friday, 24 September 2021, 17:16 GMT
https://github.com/archlinux/svntogit-packages/commit/4714f6f18ca959abd044936500b47af01de69cf1#diff-3e341d2d9c67be01819b25b25d5e53ea3cdf3a38d28846cda85a195eb9b7203a

The recent package update only updated $pkgver (and consequently the
source URL).
Could this be an upstream bug?
Comment by Andreas Radke (AndyRTR) - Friday, 24 September 2021, 19:25 GMT
Please look for the commit that breaks it or bisect it:

https://cdn.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/ChangeLog-5.10.68

then report it to https://bugzilla.kernel.org/ and probably CC it to the stable kernel ML.

Comment by Emanuele Torre (emanuele6) - Friday, 24 September 2021, 21:01 GMT
I have just tried using the non-LTS kernel (that I had to install) to
see if it also had the "bug".

After running `sudo pacman -S core/linux', I rebooted and I noticed that
the problem went away; also when using the linux-lts kernel.

Then I tried rebooting to linux-lts, first after uninstalling core/linux
and then after alse re-installing core/linux-lts
(with `sudo pacman -S core/linux-lts' ), and the problem was still gone.
I am not complaining. :)

Then could this be a bug in the core/linux-lts update script (that made it
not update a module correctly or that made it not remove a cache file or
something like that), that was then resolved by running the install
script for core/linux?

Either way, now, I don't have the problem anymore so you can close the
report if you want.

Thank you for your time,
emanuele6
Comment by Emanuele Torre (emanuele6) - Friday, 24 September 2021, 21:42 GMT
Additional Info:

This ArchLinux installation is more than two years old and I have had
that same configuration file basically since the installation that never
caused problems, so I don't really understand how and why only the
update from LTS 5.10.67 to LTS 5.10.68 caused the problem, downgrading
to 5.10.67-1 solved it, re-upgrading to 5.10.68-1 didn't solve it and
then installing and uninstalling core/linux solved it permanently, but
unfortunately I can't investigate it much since it just works now.

Loading...