Arch Linux

Please read this before reporting a bug:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reporting_Bug_Guidelines

Do NOT report bugs when a package is just outdated, or it is in the AUR. Use the 'flag out of date' link on the package page, or the Mailing List.

REPEAT: Do NOT report bugs for outdated packages!
Tasklist

FS#70109 - [chromium] tab detach broken, won't release, new window renders incorrectly

Attached to Project: Arch Linux
Opened by Kevin Flynn (Kevin_Flynn) - Sunday, 21 March 2021, 15:12 GMT
Last edited by Evangelos Foutras (foutrelis) - Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 17:25 GMT
Task Type Bug Report
Category Packages: Extra
Status Closed
Assigned To Evangelos Foutras (foutrelis)
Felix Yan (felixonmars)
Architecture x86_64
Severity Medium
Priority Normal
Reported Version
Due in Version Undecided
Due Date Undecided
Percent Complete 100%
Votes 1
Private No

Details

Description:

Opening a new tab in chromium browser, and then clicking on the left mouse button while dragging the tab to detach it from the window, sometimes works, and sometimes results in the window manager failing to let go of the tab after the mouse button is released. The new window becomes "stuck" to the cursor, and only becomes unstuck after pressing various keys like <esc> to try and unstick it.

Also, the new window tab bar rendering fails, and the tab titles don't align to the left, but remain stuck in the middle of the window.

I've tried various settings in the ~/.config/chromium-flags.conf file with no luck. The only work around I have at the moment is to not drag tabs, but to execute chromium and let it detect a running instance and open a new window instead.

Also, this is only happening with chromium, not any other applications, and I first noticed it after doing a full system upgrade on March 18, 2021.

I have made a video of this since its difficult to describe. The first tab detach in the video works, but the second one fails in both the ungrab and the rendering. The video can be found at the following imgur link:

https://imgur.com/a/tXa2ecd

Additional info:

* chromium 89.0.4389.90 ( on xfce 4.16, nvidia prop driver 460.67-1 )
* no logs, see video link above or attached video file
* could not find an upstream bug report, did not file one

Steps to reproduce:

Detach some tabs until it wonks out on you.

ps. Video file also attached
This task depends upon

Closed by  Evangelos Foutras (foutrelis)
Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 17:25 GMT
Reason for closing:  Works for me
Additional comments about closing:  Can't repro and based on downgrading to an older version that used to work, it doesn't appear to be a bug in Chromium.
Comment by Kevin Flynn (Kevin_Flynn) - Sunday, 21 March 2021, 15:15 GMT
Video file didn't attach, trying again

This will be the last bug I ever report for Arch, after wasting all this time, even making a video, and having
the person it was assigned to close it because "it works for him."

FFS
Comment by Evangelos Foutras (foutrelis) - Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 13:45 GMT
Does it also happen with chromium 89.0.4389.82-1 ? [1] (Newer versions contain a patch related to tab dragging.)

Which was the version you upgraded from and does it work again if you downgrade to that?

[1] https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/c/chromium/chromium-89.0.4389.82-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
Comment by Kevin Flynn (Kevin_Flynn) - Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 14:19 GMT
> Does it also happen with chromium 89.0.4389.82-1 ?

Don't know, haven't tried that version.

> Which was the version you upgraded from

89.0.4389.72-1

> and does it work again if you downgrade to that?

Just downgraded to .72-1 from my package cache and the bug is present in that version as well.

Comment by Evangelos Foutras (foutrelis) - Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 14:30 GMT
Thanks for testing a previous version. Seems the patch added in 89.0.4389.82-2 isn't to blame. (Assuming 89.0.4389.90 wasn't running in the background.)

If the version that used to work for you is affected as well, then it might be something else in the last system upgrade that's causing this.
Comment by Kevin Flynn (Kevin_Flynn) - Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 14:35 GMT
> Assuming 89.0.4389.90 wasn't running in the background.

I closed all browser windows before downgrading, and added chromium to my pacman.conf ignore
list afterwards, so I'm confident it was not.

Comment by Evangelos Foutras (foutrelis) - Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 14:51 GMT
If you want, you can try to figure which update broke it but using our archive's daily snapshots. Putting something like [1] at the top of your mirrorlist and doing a `pacman -Syyuu` afterwards to sync to that specific day and rebooting just to be sure. If it works, then pick a halfway point and try again.

E.g.:

2021/03/03 -> should work, try 2021/03/10 next
2021/03/10 -> if it works, try 2021/03/14; if not, try 2021/03/07
...
(you get the idea)

[1] Server = https://archive.archlinux.org/repos/2021/03/03/$repo/os/$arch
Comment by Kevin Flynn (Kevin_Flynn) - Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 15:38 GMT
I can't really do that on this box, as I'm in the middle of my own development projects.
Comment by Evangelos Foutras (foutrelis) - Wednesday, 24 March 2021, 17:24 GMT
As downgrading chromium doesn't fix it and it works fine for me on Xfce (with Intel graphics though), it's not possible to investigate this further.

When you get a chance, try the above "bisect" using daily snapshots to narrow down the update that caused your issue and file a new bug against it.

Loading...