Community Packages

Please read this before reporting a bug:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reporting_Bug_Guidelines

Do NOT report bugs when a package is just outdated, or it is in Unsupported. Use the 'flag out of date' link on the package page, or the Mailing List.

REPEAT: Do NOT report bugs for outdated packages!
Tasklist

FS#63205 - [ttf-droid] CJK text appears like boxes

Attached to Project: Community Packages
Opened by tgn-ff (tgn-ff) - Monday, 15 July 2019, 21:19 GMT
Last edited by Antonio Rojas (arojas) - Thursday, 18 July 2019, 11:40 GMT
Task Type Bug Report
Category Packages
Status Assigned
Assigned To Jelle van der Waa (jelly)
Architecture All
Severity Low
Priority Normal
Reported Version
Due in Version Undecided
Due Date Undecided
Percent Complete 0%
Votes 2
Private No

Details

STR:
0) Make sure you have installed the latest (20121017-7) version of the ttf-droid package.
1) Visit https://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E6%B1%89%E8%AF%AD
2) Observe the text in the window manager's titlebar.

The chinese text appears like boxes in the titlebar with the latest version, but correctly with the previous one (20121017-6).
This task depends upon

Comment by Chris Down (cdown) - Wednesday, 17 July 2019, 12:29 GMT
I also reproduce this. Looking at the changes (https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/ttf-droid&id=4527049352b70758a60847d10393e31b9ef40d81), since the actual font didn't change it looks like it's one of the following:

1. A config reordering change, but it would have to be due to the alphabetic part, since the numbers stayed the same
2. A result of removing one of the dependencies
3. Something to do with installing in `/usr/share/fonts/droid` instead of `/usr/share/fonts/TTF`
4. Something to do with using symlinks instead of copying the files

I'll keep on investigating.
Comment by Chris Down (cdown) - Thursday, 18 July 2019, 11:29 GMT
Looking at `pacman -Qql ttf-droid` before and after makes another change more clear: before, we didn't symlink the configs in conf.d so they would actually be used. Now we set up the symlinks, and they have things like this:

<match target="scan">
<test name="lang" compare="eq">
<string>zh-cn</string>
</test>
<test name="lang" compare="eq">
<string>zh-sg</string>
</test>
<test name="lang" compare="eq">
<string>zh-hk</string>
</test>
<test name="lang" compare="eq">
<string>zh-tw</string>
</test>
<test name="lang" compare="eq">
<string>zh</string>
</test>
<test name="fullname">
<string>Droid Sans Japanese</string>
</test>
<edit name="family">
<string>Droid Sans</string>
</edit>
<edit name="fullname">
<string>Droid Sans</string>
</edit>
<edit name="fontversion">
<int>1</int>
</edit>
</match>

My guess is that some of these (there are a lot) eventually result in promoting a font without CJK glyphs incorrectly. Indeed, if I do the following then glyphs display correctly again even on pkgrel 7:

rm /etc/fonts/conf.d/*droid*
Comment by Chris Down (cdown) - Thursday, 18 July 2019, 11:33 GMT
For now, here's my workaround (with linking to hopefully create pacnew files on upgrade instead of just removing them): https://github.com/cdown/ansible-desktop/commit/34891e79dee46d2562d97ef5723ea2dba09ec622

Loading...