Community Packages

Please read this before reporting a bug:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reporting_Bug_Guidelines

Do NOT report bugs when a package is just outdated, or it is in Unsupported. Use the 'flag out of date' link on the package page, or the Mailing List.

REPEAT: Do NOT report bugs for outdated packages!
Tasklist

FS#24434 - [parcellite] crash when trigger history menu

Attached to Project: Community Packages
Opened by Lyman Li (lyman) - Wednesday, 25 May 2011, 03:59 GMT
Last edited by Sergej Pupykin (sergej) - Thursday, 11 August 2011, 18:03 GMT
Task Type Bug Report
Category Upstream Bugs
Status Closed
Assigned To Sergej Pupykin (sergej)
Architecture x86_64
Severity Medium
Priority Normal
Reported Version
Due in Version Undecided
Due Date Undecided
Percent Complete 100%
Votes 0
Private No

Details

Description:
parcellite crashed when I use hotkey to trigger history menu

Additional info:
* package version(s)
community/parcellite 1.0.1-1 [installed]

Steps to reproduce:
1, start parcellite

2, press hotkey (mine is ctrl-alt-H)

process 10940: arguments to dbus_message_iter_append_basic() were incorrect, assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_utf8 (*string_p)" failed in file dbus-message.c line 2526.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Aborted
This task depends upon

Closed by  Sergej Pupykin (sergej)
Thursday, 11 August 2011, 18:03 GMT
Reason for closing:  Fixed
Additional comments about closing:  history_menu_crash_patch applied
Comment by Michal Minář (minami) - Friday, 27 May 2011, 07:35 GMT
Same problem, works after removal of:
~/.config/parcellite
~/.config/parcellite/parcelliterc
~/.local/share/parcellite
Comment by Lyman Li (lyman) - Friday, 27 May 2011, 08:41 GMT
it seems an issue between utf-8 strings in history and _dbus_check_is_valid_utf8(). in my case, only remove ~/.local/share/parcellite/history solves the problem (thanks for your hint, @minami). however, with the crash-causing history file, iconv did not report any warning.
Comment by Jelle van der Waa (jelly) - Friday, 17 June 2011, 22:13 GMT
please report upstream
Comment by Lyman Li (lyman) - Thursday, 30 June 2011, 08:45 GMT Comment by Sergej Pupykin (sergej) - Thursday, 30 June 2011, 10:52 GMT
btw, I updated parcellite to 1.0.2rc2 in community. It works better for me
Comment by dezhi (igotcha) - Friday, 08 July 2011, 17:05 GMT
same problem in zh_CN.UTF-8, and 1.0.2rc2 nothing help for me ....

(parcellite:2701): Gdk-WARNING **: Error converting selection from UTF8_STRING
(parcellite:2701): Pango-WARNING **: Invalid UTF-8 string passed to pango_layout_set_text()
(parcellite:2701): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
(parcellite:2701): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
(parcellite:2701): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_text_buffer_emit_insert: assertion `g_utf8_validate (text, len, NULL)' failed
process 2701: arguments to dbus_message_iter_append_basic() were incorrect, assertion "_dbus_check_is_valid_utf8 (*string_p)" failed in file dbus-message.c line 2526.
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
D-Bus not built with -rdynamic so unable to print a backtrace
Comment by Sergej Pupykin (sergej) - Tuesday, 09 August 2011, 21:17 GMT
what about 1.0.2rc3?
Comment by Lyman Li (lyman) - Wednesday, 10 August 2011, 02:30 GMT
the bug is still there and I've figure out the root cause.

when pop up menu appears, parcellite will cut strings to fit the window (default 50 bytes), and it is using g_string_erase/g_string_truncate to operate the string, which is in byte, and will generated possible invalid utf-8 result.

I've already feedback my discover upstream.
Comment by Lyman Li (lyman) - Thursday, 11 August 2011, 16:05 GMT
I've commit a patch against 1.0.2rc3 upstream. Unfortunately, after I forged the patch I found a very similar one against 0.9.3 already there, committed 3 months ago. It seems the developers intend to something big about utf-8 issue. However, the progress is apparently slow.

So I paste the patch here. At least it solves my problem.

Loading...