Arch Linux

Please read this before reporting a bug:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reporting_Bug_Guidelines

Do NOT report bugs when a package is just outdated, or it is in Unsupported. Use the 'flag out of date' link on the package page, or the Mailing List.

REPEAT: Do NOT report bugs for outdated packages!
Tasklist

FS#19560 - [cmus] 2.3.2-1 segfaulting

Attached to Project: Arch Linux
Opened by vlastik (vlastik) - Saturday, 22 May 2010, 14:17 GMT
Last edited by Ionut Biru (wonder) - Sunday, 23 May 2010, 21:52 GMT
Task Type Bug Report
Category Packages: Extra
Status Closed
Assigned To Ionut Biru (wonder)
Architecture All
Severity Medium
Priority Normal
Reported Version
Due in Version Undecided
Due Date Undecided
Percent Complete 100%
Votes 0
Private No

Details

Description:

Cmus segfaults if I try to play file with diacritics (eg. ěščřžýáíé) in filename.

Additional info:
* cmus 2.3.2-1, previous version 2.3.0-3 works just fine



Steps to reproduce:
Try to play file "Výsledky měření rychlosti internetového připojení.mp3"
This task depends upon

Closed by  Ionut Biru (wonder)
Sunday, 23 May 2010, 21:52 GMT
Reason for closing:  Fixed
Additional comments about closing:  cmus 2.3.2-2
Comment by Xavier (shining) - Sunday, 23 May 2010, 08:10 GMT
That's likely an upstream problem, so take it upstream, e.g. on the ML :
http://cmus.sourceforge.net/#development

I would also suggest to clone git repo, then build and run locally : ./configure --prefix=/usr ; make ; ./cmus
See if you can reproduce.
Then go back to older versions : git checkout v2.3.0 or v2.3.1 and see if you can reproduce.
And if you can indeed see the regression that way, start a git bisect (man git-bisect)
Comment by vlastik (vlastik) - Sunday, 23 May 2010, 09:49 GMT
Thank you Xavier! I belive I find the problematic commit, it's reported on ML. Segfault is probably ID3, not filename related.
Comment by Xavier (shining) - Sunday, 23 May 2010, 10:17 GMT
Please post commit id and link to http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum_name=cmus-devel

cmus uses id3 and yes I can reproduce problems with non-ascii char in id3 tags.
The first problem I noticed was many misplaced text/characters. But with another album I can reproduce the segfault. It seems to segfault inside ncurses.

I rebuilt v2.3.0 and it still fails. The only way I can make it work is altering the cflags, so it seems toolchain related.
However I can reproduce the problem with clang (segfault with default clfags, fine if I change them).
So if both gcc and clang fail in the same way, a compiler bug seems less likely now.

I will try to investigate a bit more to see if I find something that makes sense. In any cases I will report back to cmus ML.
Comment by vlastik (vlastik) - Sunday, 23 May 2010, 11:05 GMT
Cmus ML thread: http://bit.ly/d7PZ8T
Problematic commit suggested by bisect: 6157de2f836350719f86550acd423935f016b0fc



Comment by Xavier (shining) - Sunday, 23 May 2010, 20:10 GMT Comment by Ionut Biru (wonder) - Sunday, 23 May 2010, 20:50 GMT
cmus 2.3.2-2 in extra. let me know if is fixed
Comment by vlastik (vlastik) - Sunday, 23 May 2010, 21:52 GMT
Hello,
yes, it's fixed in 2.3.2-2, I can play my files without segfaults now. Thank you!

Loading...